At the completion of this program the participant will be able to:
– List the precautions and contraindications for IASTM
– Understand, identify, and apply the appropriate IASTM treatment edge: concave, convex, broad vs. small contact, single bevel, or double bevel, based on the target tissue and desired treatment effect
– Choose appropriate basic treatment IASTM strokes (i.e. sweeping, fanning, brushing, strumming, and framing) based on the body region contours and nature of the soft tissue restriction
– Integrate IASTM intervention into the overall treatment program including: warm up, IASTM intervention based on the objectives outlined above, tissue elongation/stretching, appropriate ROM and/or strengthening exercises, cool down, and home exercise to produce carry-over of the treatment effect and enhance treatment outcomes
• Introduction – theoretical basis of IASTM, review of current literature
o Lecture format to introduce the concept of IASTM; indications and contraindications, highlights of evidence in the literature and physiological basis for using this as a soft tissue treatment technique
• Basic handling, tool selection, and basic treatment strokes lab
o Lab based basic skills component for participants to learn proper tool handing, basic treatment strokes, and proper tool selection based on target tissues using the thigh and knee as a forgiving region for skill acquisition
• Lower Extremity & Trunk Lab
o This lab will utilize the IASTM strokes covered in the basic strokes lab to introduce intervention strategies for the lower extremities and lumbar spine
• Upper Extremity & Spine Lab
o This lab will utilize the IASTM strokes covered in the basic strokes lab to introduce intervention strategies for the upper extremities and cervical spine
• Clinical integration – Basic information regarding integration into treatment, billing for and documenting treatment
o Treatment Design
HawkGrips reserves the right to cancel any live course. A cancellation is decided by the morning of the scheduled program. A full refund of tuition will be issued within 2 weeks if the course is canceled due to extenuating circumstances. HawkGrips is not responsible for any travel-related expense, including but not limited to airfare, overnight accommodations or other arrangements.
If you cannot attend a course that you have purchased a ticket for, please contact HawkGrips immediately. Full refunds may be issued up to 48 hours prior to the course.
If paying by check please click the link and fill out the following form. Once you fill out the form you will receive an email with simple directions to mail in payments to HawkGrips.