Location: Northwest Return to Work
19221 36th Ave. W #101
Lynnwood, WA 98036
Course Time: 8:00 am – 5:30 pm
Instructor: TED L. FORCUM, DC, DACBSP, FICC, CSCS, CES, PES
For additional details such as eligibility requirements, CE approvals, and a course outline, please see the table below!
Pre-Level I: IASTM Fundamentals
- HawkGrips is recognized by the Board of Certification, Inc. to offer continuing education for 2 category A CEUs for certified Athletic Trainers (ATCs). ATCs are responsible for claiming only those hours actually spent participating in the CE act.
- HawkGrips is recognized by the PACE program of the Federation of Chiropractic Licensing Boards. The following state boards of chiropractic examiners accept courses that have been approved by PACE: AK, ID, IN, IA, KS, ME, MD, MA, MN, MO, NE, NV, NJ, NC, ND, OH, OR, RI, SC, SD, TN, UT, VT, VA, WA, WY, PR.
- HawkGrips is approved by the NCBTMB as a provider for continuing education to offer 1 CEU for this course (#1055, exp. 3/21/2022).
- Approved by the Florida Massage Therapy Board for 1.75 Hours.
- Approved by the Georgia Massage Therapy Board for 2 Hours.
- HawkGrips has been approved as an education provider by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy (CE Provider #: 50-17591, exp. 02/28/2021).
- Approved by the Maryland Board of Occupational Therapy Practice for 2 contact hours (#2020:0030, exp. 12/31/2020).
- HawkGrips is recognized by New York State Ed. Dept's Board for Occupational Therapy as an approved provider of OT & OTA continuing education.
- Approved by the Ohio OT Board for 2 CEUs (#161481. Exp. 7/18/2021).
- HawkGrips has been approved as an education provider by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure (Provider #: OCCEP000254) exp. 6/30/2021.
- HawkGrips is approved by FSBPT through ProCert to offer 2 CCUs. The following states accept courses that have been approved by FSBPT (exp. 12/31/2021): AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, DE, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, MI, MS, MO, MN, MT, NE, NC, ND, OR, PA, PR, RI, SC, SD, TN, UT, VT, VA, WI, WY, and District of Columbia.
- Approved by the Florida PT Board for 2 CEUs (#CE20-564085, exp. 12/31/2020). Accreditation of this course does not necessarily imply the FPTA supports the views of the presenter or the sponsors.
- Approved by the Maryland Board of Physical Therapy Examiners for 0.2 CEUs.
- New Jersey Board of Physical Therapy Examiners has approved this course for 1.25 continuing education credits (#1805-57, exp. 1/31/2020).
- HawkGrips is recognized by New York State Ed. Dept's Board for Physical Therapy as an approved provider of PT & PTA continuing education.
- Approved by the Ohio Physical Therapy Association for 2 hours (#19S0509) exp. 4/5/2020.
- Approved by the Texas APTA chapter for 2 CCUs (65194TX) exp. 1/21/2021.
*This course is accepted by many professional credentialing organizations and state professional regulatory boards. Rules and regulations change frequently without notification, and apply differently to live and online courses. Please check with your state board to confirm course approval of contact hours. Certificate of Attendance will be issued to all participants upon completion of the course and may be used for CEU verification of credits. CE credits vary by state. Please check with your state board/certifying agency to confirm conversion of contact hours to CE.
- HawkGrips is recognized by the Board of Certification, Inc. to offer continuing education for 4 category A CEUs for certified Athletic Trainers (ATCs). ATCs are responsible for claiming only those hours actually spent participating in the CE act.
- HawkGrips is recognized by New York State Ed. Department’s State Board for OT as an approved provider of OT & OTA continuing education.
- HawkGrips is approved by the FSBPT & ProCert to offer 4 CCUs for this course. The following states accept courses that have been approved by FSBPT (exp. 2/7/2021): AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, DE, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, MI, MS, MO, MN, MT, NE, NC, ND, OR, PA, PR, RI, SC, SD, TN, UT, VT, VA, WI, WY, and District of Columbia.
- HawkGrips is recognized by New York State Ed. Department’s State Board for PT as an approved provider of PT & PTA continuing education.
4-hour live, online course covers the basic skills necessary and to safely begin Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization (IASTM) techniques. In this introductory skills acquisition course, participants will receive virtual instruction in the proper use of IASTM through a virtual lab-focused teaching format. The course will address proper instrument selection to address body contours and reach target tissues. At the end of the course, attendees will take a 1 hour exam for a certification in Level I: IASTM Fundamentals.
- Introduction - theoretical basis of IASTM, review of current literature
- Lecture format to review highlights of the online course material focusing on evidence in current literature and theories behind using IASTM as a treatment technique
- Review of indications, precautions, and contraindications
- Basic handling, tool selection, and basic treatment strokes virtual demonstration lab
- Virtual Lab based basic skills component for participants to learn proper tool handling, basic treatment strokes, and proper tool selection based on target tissues using the thigh and knee as a forgiving region for skill acquisition
- Included is a free-play open lab to allow participants opportunity to have access to tools for free-form learning and question development
- Lecture/discussion – treatment integration and dosing
- Treatment time and frequency
- Location of IASTM in the flow of therapy visit
- Myofascia and cutaneous strokes virtual lab
- Body regions and specific tools selected to highlight large surface – broad strokes
- Desensitizing strokes targeting cutaneous tissue heighted
- Surgical incision and superficial scar release strokes highlighted
- Deep muscle strokes virtual lab
- Multiple tools and body regions selected to highlight muscle interfaces and planes
- Emphasis on tool selection based on body contours, depth of target tissue, and size of target area
- Ligament/ tendon treatment strokes virtual lab
- Strokes specific to ligamentous and tendon tissue targeted
- Multiple body regions selected for skills acquisition
- Hard tissue/soft tissue interface virtual lab
- Body regions and specific tools selected to highlight strokes to facilitate mobility of bone/tendon/muscle/soft tissue interfaces
- Skills integration with virtual lab demonstrations Case studies and case specific Q & A
- Tool orientation for treatment effects
- Problem solving case study for integration of skills covered in course
11:30-11:45 AM Virtual Classroom Setup
11:45-12:15 PM Introduction - Review of online component
12:15-1:00 PM Basic handling, tool selection, and basic treatment strokes virtual lab
1:00-1:15 PM Lecture/discussion of treatment integration and dosing
1:15-2:00 PM Myofascial (large surface-broad strokes) & cutaneous stokes, Q & A
2:00-2:15 PM Break
2:15-2:40 PM Deep Muscular and Q & A
2:40-3:10 PM Tendon/ligament
3:10-3:30 PM Hard tissue/soft tissue interfaces
3:30-4:00 PM Skills Integration
At the completion of this program, the participant will be able to:
- List the precautions and contraindications for IASTM
- Understand, identify, and apply the appropriate IASTM treatment edge: concave, convex, broad vs. small contact, single bevel, or double bevel, based on the target tissue and desired treatment effect
- Choose appropriate basic treatment IASTM strokes (i.e. sweeping, fanning, brushing, strumming, and framing) based on the body region contours, nature of the soft tissue restriction, and desired treatment outcome
- Integrate IASTM intervention into the overall treatment program including: warm up, IASTM intervention based on the objectives outlined above, tissue elongation/stretching, appropriate ROM and/or strengthening exercises, cool down, and home exercise to produce carry-over of the treatment effect and enhance treatment outcomes