This 2-hour introductory course is designed to give an overview of the research and basis for instrument assisted soft tissue mobilization (IASTM) and Kinesiology taping. This is a home-study course and therefore does not teach clinicians how to perform IASTM and Kinesiology tape, but instead reviews the relevant physiology and most current evidence on the theories behind IASTM as well as the key fundamentals of the technique. Clinicians should always perform treatments within their clinical scope. At the end of the course, participants will take a quiz to ensure comprehension and must pass with a score of 75% or better.
- HawkGrips (P8834) is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to provide continuing education for Athletic Trainers. This program is eligible for a maximum of 2 hours of Category A CE. ATCs are responsible for claiming only those hours actually spent in educational programming.
- HawkGrips is recognized by the PACE program of the Federation of Chiropractic Licensing Boards to offer continuing education for Chiropractors. This program is eligible for 2 CE Hours. Please visit the following link for a list of states that currently accept PACE courses: https://pacex.fclb.org/pages/BoardRequirements.php
- This course is offered for up to 1.75 CEUs for PTs/PTAs in the following states: https://www.redefinehealthed.com/ceuinfo
- This course is subcontracted to Redefine Health Education. RHE is a registered CE approval agency of the PT Board of California, a rule-approved CE provider of the PT Board of Florida (#50-32784), a licensed CE sponsor of physical therapy continuing education by the Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation (IDFPR #216.000360), an approved continuing competence provider by the APTA North Carolina (#22-0729-033), an approved CE provider of the PT Board of New Mexico, and an approved CE provider of the PT Board of Oklahoma (#BAP202310010) and recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Physical Therapy as an approved sponsor of PT/PTA continuing education. In addition to the aforementioned jurisdictions, courses approved by other state boards & APTA chapters will be accepted for licensure credit in all the jurisdictions listed on this webpage, pursuant to regulation: www.redefinehealthed.com/ceuinfo. If you have a specific question about CE credit for this course in your state, please direct your inquiry including the course title in which you are interested, to firstname.lastname@example.org. ***If you are a Florida licensee, this is the CE Broker approval# for this course is 20-965354.
- This course is currently not pre-approved for CEUs in any states. Some states do not require pre-approval. Licensees can check with their individual state boards on CEU eligibility requirements.
- HawkGrips is approved by the NCBTMB as a provider for continuing education to offer 2 CEUs for this course (#1055, exp. 3/21/2025)
*This course is accepted by many professional credentialing organizations and state professional regulatory boards. Rules and regulations change frequently without notification, and apply differently to live and online courses. Please check with your state board to confirm course approval of contact hours. Certificate of Attendance will be issued to all participants upon completion of the course and may be used for CEU verification of credits. CE credits vary by state. Please check with your state board/certifying agency to confirm conversion of contact hours to CE.
This 2 hour introductory course is designed to give an overview of the research and basis for instrument assisted soft tissue mobilization (IASTM) and kinesiology taping. This is a home-study course and therefore does not teach clinicians how to perform IASTM and kinesiology tape but instead review the relevant physiology and most current evidence on the theories behind IASTM as well as the key fundamentals of the technique. Clinicians should always perform treatments within their clinical scope. At the end of the course, participants will take a 15-question quiz to ensure comprehension and must pass with a score of 75% or better.
- Introduction, History and Precautions/Contraindications
- Introduction and disclaimer
- History of IASTM
- Why IASTM?
- History of Kinesiology Taping
- Why Kinesiology Taping?
- Precautions and Contraindications (IASTM and Kinesiology Taping)
- Introduction to IASTM Therapy
- IASTM Proposed Mechanisms of Action
- IASTM Effects and Research
- IASTM Instrument Selection: Shapes, Edges and Bevels
- IASTM Strokes
- IASTM Dosing
- Introduction to Kinesiology Taping
- Kinesiology Taping Proposed Mechanisms of Action
- Kinesiology Taping Facts
- Kinesiology Taping Research
- Kinesiology Taping Techniques
- Kinesiology Tape Cuts and Patterns
- Proper Application
- Kinesiology Taping Aftercare
- Combining Modalities: Demonstrations and Practical Applications
- Combining IASTM and Kinesiology Taping for:
- Calf, Ankle and Foot
- Lower Back Pain Kinesiology Taping Application
- Anterior Knee Pain Kinesiology Taping Application
- Cervical Joint Support Kinesiology Taping Application
- Elbow or Wrist Pain Kinesiology Taping Application
- Hand and Wrist Kinesiology Taping Applications
- Achilles Tendon Kinesiology Taping Application
- Treatment Overview
- Treatment Principals
- Clinical Reasoning
- 4 T's of Functional Taping
- Practical Application
- Further Education Opportunities
- Combining IASTM and Kinesiology Taping for:
- 15-Question Quiz
Video 1: 13:12 mins (Introduction, History and Precautions/Contraindications)
Video 2: 26:28 mins (Introduction to IASTM Therapy)
Video 3: 20:42 mins (Introduction to Kinesiology Taping)
Video 4: 26:42 mins (Combining Modalities: Demonstrations and Practical Application)
- Describe the history of IASTM and kinesiology taping
- Define the 4 main theories on how IASTM works
- Identify at least 4 precautions and contraindications to IASTM
- Identify at least 4 precautions and contraindications to kinesiology taping
- Name at least 3 kinesiology taping cuts
- Describe the 10 stages of proper kinesiology taping application as outlined in the course