This 1-hour online course covers the basics of Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization (IASTM) techniques as a starting point towards professional training. In this introductory course, participants will receive video instruction in the proper use of instruments. The course will address proper instrument selection to address body contours and reach target tissues.
Successful completion of this online course occurs when attendees pass the online final exam.
- HawkGrips (P8834) is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to provide continuing education for Athletic Trainers. This program is eligible for a maximum of 1 hour of Category A CE. ATCs are responsible for claiming only those hours actually spent in educational programming.
- HawkGrips is recognized by the PACE program of the Federation of Chiropractic Licensing Boards to offer continuing education for Chiropractors. This program is eligible for 1 CE Hours. Please visit the following link for a list of states that currently accept PACE courses: https://pacex.fclb.org/pages/BoardRequirements.php
- HawkGrips is approved by the NCBTMB as a provider for continuing education to offer 1.5 CEUs for this course (#1055, exp. 3/21/2025).
- This course is currently not pre-approved for CEUs in any states. Some states do not require pre-approval. Licensees can check with their individual state boards on CEU eligibility requirements.
- This course is currently not pre-approved for CEUs in any states.
*This course is accepted by many professional credentialing organizations and state professional regulatory boards. Rules and regulations change frequently without notification, and apply differently to live and online courses. Please check with your state board to confirm course approval of contact hours. Certificate of Attendance will be issued to all participants upon completion of the course and may be used for CEU verification of credits. CE credits vary by state. Please check with your state board/certifying agency to confirm conversion of contact hours to CE.
This 1-hour introductory course is designed to give an overview of the research and basis for instrument assisted soft tissue mobilization (IASTM). This is a home-study course and therefore does not teach clinicians how to perform IASTM, but instead review the relevant physiology and most current evidence on the theories behind IASTM as well as the key fundamentals of the technique. Clinicians should always perform treatments within their clinical scope. At the end of the course, participants will take a quiz to ensure comprehension and must pass with a score of 75% or better.
- Video 1 - PowerPoint
- Introduction & Disclaimer
- Disclaimer to inform all participants that the course does not teach clinicians how to perform IASTM
- Review Soft Tissue Injury & relevant physiology
- IASTM Origins
- IASTM Theories & Current Research
- Fundamentals of IASTM
- Precautions & Contraindications
- Product differences
- Beveled edges
- Treatment considerations & expectations
- Review & Conclusion
- Introduction & Disclaimer
- Video 2 - Video of treatment
- Strokes & order of treatment over lateral forearm
- 18-Question Quiz
Video 1 (PowerPoint Recording): 50 minutes
Video 2 (Treatment demonstration): 9 min
- List the 4 main theories on how IASTM works
- Theorize safe application of IASTM on a variety of soft tissue dysfunctions given two case studies on the quiz
- List the 6 basic IASTM strokes
- List at least 4 precautions and contraindications to IASTM
- Rationalize appropriate patient response to IASTM given two case studies on the quiz