***This course is eligible for up to 7.25 CEUs.***
This 4-hour live, online course covers the basic skills necessary and to safely begin Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization (IASTM) techniques. In this introductory skills acquisition course, participants will receive virtual instruction in the proper use of IASTM through a virtual lab-focused teaching format. The course will address proper instrument selection to address body contours and reach target tissues. At the end of the course, attendees will take a 1 hour exam for a certification in Level I: IASTM Fundamentals.
Course Time: 11:45 AM-4:00 PM
Educational Level: Beginner
A PDF of the course manual will be emailed to each attendee prior to the course.
Prior to registering:
1. Please note that although our virtual courses are not in-person, a significant portion of the course entails virtual lab demonstrations performed and guided by the instructor.
To fully benefit from our virtual courses, we strongly recommend attendees have access to instruments for the duration of the course - whether they borrow or purchase instruments. Instruments will greatly supplement the attendee's learning experience as Instructors will be there to guide and assess technique via Zoom.
2. By registering for this virtual course, you are agreeing to HawkGrips' terms and conditions. To read the full terms and conditions, please click here.
Course attendees receive an exclusive significant bundle discount on HawkGrips instruments, with options like the popular HGPro tool, the Introductory Set, and the Gold Set. Plan ahead and purchase the best tools at a discounted price, ensuring you leave the course as a confident, HawkGrips-certified practitioner with your own set of instruments, ready to put your new skills into practice.
EXCLUSIVE COURSE DISCOUNTS
- Course Description
- Course Schedule
- Course Outline
- Learning Objectives
- CEU Approvals: Virtual Level I
4-hour live, online course covers the basic skills necessary and to safely begin Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization (IASTM) techniques. In this introductory skills acquisition course, participants will receive virtual instruction in the proper use of IASTM through a virtual lab-focused teaching format. The course will address proper instrument selection to address body contours and reach target tissues. At the end of the course, attendees will take a 1 hour exam for a certification in Level I: IASTM Fundamentals.
- 2-Hour, Online, Self-Paced pre-course is required to be completed prior to the live portion
|Virtual Classroom Setup
|Introduction - Review of online component
|Basic handling, tool selection, and basic treatment strokes virtual lab
|Lecture/discussion of treatment integration and dosing
|Myofascial (large surface-broad strokes) & cutaneous stokes, Q & A
|Deep Muscular and Q & A
|Hard tissue/soft tissue interfaces
Introduction - theoretical basis of IASTM, review of current literature
- Lecture format to review highlights of the online course material focusing on evidence in current literature and theories behind using IASTM as a treatment technique
- Review of indications, precautions, and contraindications
Basic handling, tool selection, and basic treatment strokes virtual demonstration lab
- Virtual Lab based basic skills component for participants to learn proper tool handling, basic treatment strokes, and proper tool selection based on target tissues using the thigh and knee as a forgiving region for skill acquisition
- Included is a free-play open lab to allow participants opportunity to have access to tools for free-form learning and question development
Lecture/discussion – treatment integration and dosing
- Treatment time and frequency
- Location of IASTM in the flow of therapy visit
Myofascia and cutaneous strokes virtual lab
- Body regions and specific tools selected to highlight large surface – broad strokes
- Desensitizing strokes targeting cutaneous tissue heighted
- Surgical incision and superficial scar release strokes highlighted
Deep muscle strokes virtual lab
- Multiple tools and body regions selected to highlight muscle interfaces and planes
- Emphasis on tool selection based on body contours, depth of target tissue, and size of target area
Ligament/ tendon treatment strokes virtual lab
- Strokes specific to ligamentous and tendon tissue targeted
- Multiple body regions selected for skills acquisition
Hard tissue/soft tissue interface virtual lab
- Body regions and specific tools selected to highlight strokes to facilitate mobility of bone/tendon/muscle/soft tissue interfaces
Skills integration with virtual lab demonstrations Case studies and case specific Q & A
- Treatment edges
- Tool orientation for treatment effects
- Problem solving case study for integration of skills covered in course
At the completion of this program, the participant will be able to:
- List the precautions and contraindications for IASTM
- Understand, identify, and apply the appropriate IASTM treatment edge: concave, convex, broad vs. small contact, single bevel, or double bevel, based on the target tissue and desired treatment effect
- Choose appropriate basic treatment IASTM strokes (i.e. sweeping, fanning, brushing, strumming, and framing) based on the body region contours, nature of the soft tissue restriction, and desired treatment outcome
- Integrate IASTM intervention into the overall treatment program including: warm up, IASTM intervention based on the objectives outlined above, tissue elongation/stretching, appropriate ROM and/or strengthening exercises, cool down, and home exercise to produce carry-over of the treatment effect and enhance treatment outcomes
- HawkGrips (P8834) is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to provide continuing education for Athletic Trainers. This program is eligible for a maximum of 7.25 hours of Category A CEs. ATCs are responsible for claiming only those hours actually spent in educational programming.
- HawkGrips is recognized by the PACE program of the Federation of Chiropractic Licensing Boards to offer continuing education for Chiropractors. This program is eligible for 7.25 CE Hours. Please visit the following link for a list of states that current accept PACE courses: https://pacex.fclb.org/pages/BoardRequirements.php
- HawkGrips is approved by the NCBTMB as a provider for continuing education to offer 4 CEUs for this course (#1055, exp. 3/21/2025).
- This course is currently not pre-approved for CEUs for Occupational Therapists in any states. Some states do not require pre-approval. Licensees can check with their individual state boards on CEU eligibility requirements. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions on whether or not your state needs pre-approval, if you can self-submit, or any other questions.
- This course is offered for up to 7.25 CEUs for PTs/PTAs in the following states: https://www.redefinehealthed.com/ceuinfo
- This course is subcontracted to Redefine Health Education. RHE is a registered CE approval agency of the PT Board of California, a rule-approved CE provider of the PT Board of Florida (#50-32784), a licensed CE sponsor of physical therapy continuing education by the Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation (IDFPR #216.000360), an approved continuing competence provider by the APTA North Carolina (#22-0729-033), an approved CE provider of the PT Board of New Mexico, and an approved CE provider of the PT Board of Oklahoma (#BAP202310010) and recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Physical Therapy as an approved sponsor of PT/PTA continuing education. In addition to the aforementioned jurisdictions, courses approved by other state boards & APTA chapters will be accepted for licensure credit in all the jurisdictions listed on this webpage, pursuant to regulation: www.redefinehealthed.com/ceuinfo. If you have a specific question about CE credit for this course in your state, please direct your inquiry including the course title in which you are interested, to email@example.com
- This course is also approved in Maryland (Approval # 2022-258, 7.25 Hours, Exp. 4/20/2026) and New Jersey (Approval # 2022-156, 7.25 Hours, Exp. 1/31/2026).
*If you are a Florida licensee, this is the CE Broker approval # for this course is 20-900763.
*This course is accepted by many professional credentialing organizations and state professional regulatory boards. Rules and regulations change frequently without notification, and apply differently to live and online courses. Please check with your state board to confirm course approval of contact hours. Certificate of Attendance will be issued to all participants upon completion of the course and may be used for CEU verification of credits. CE credits vary by state. Please check with your state board/certifying agency to confirm conversion of contact hours to CE.
At The End of Your Training You Will:
No Additional Fees
Locate a Provider Access
YOU DECIDE YOUR PATH
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Opens in a new window.